Now Powered by Expression Engine
After much internal debate, I’ve finally moved this blog over to Expression Engine by pMachine. WordPress served me well, but it was time to move on. I first considered upgrading to wp2 but it seemed like a lot of work so I figured I’d look around and see if anything else caught my eye. EE was first on my list to check out since I had just finished redoing my back end systems using their fine Code Ignitor framework.
EE is far more powerful than WP and I’m looking forward to taking advantage of some of those features down the road. Also I figured it was time to move this blog to something that had more formal support. Some of the posts on this blog have generated 10K+ revenues for HelpSpot and when you have that kind of money riding on a blog post it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy to know there’s somebody to call if it breaks.
There were really only 2 tricky parts. First was converting all my posts. I don’t really understand why but EE can’t convert from WP so you first have to export to Movable Type format and then it can import that. There seem to be 2 scripts out there which do this, though only this one worked for me. The other big hurdle was setting up all the 301 redirects since the URL structures are different and there was no nice way to make the EE ones like WP ones. I’m hopefully that I have all that setup right but we’ll see. If not you won’t be reading this